Well it’s the last challenge, hard to believe. This week’s ingredients included shredded coconut, Maple Water and Amaranth. If you know what amaranth is, then you’re already ahead of me. I had no idea what it was till now. Amaranth is a lot like oatmeal when it comes to dishes like porridge, or like chia seeds making pudding. You can even pop it like popcorn. I decided to go with a Cinnamon Raisin Amaranth Porridge. Its been a while (a long while) since I have had a bowl of oatmeal so I thought I would give this a try. I know it’s hot as hades out there, but I still like a hot dish once in a while.
Cinnamon Raisin Amaranth Porridge
- 1/2 Cup Drink Maple Water
- 1 1/2 Cup Coconut Milk
- 1/2 Tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 Tsp Nutmeg
- 2 Pinches Sea Salt
- 1 Tsp Vanilla
- 1 Tbsp Maple Syrup, Grade B, extra for drizzling on top
- 2 Cups Amaranth, rinsed and drained
- 4 Tbsp Chia Seeds
- 1/3 Cup Raisins, extra for toppings
- Toasted Coconut for toppings
- Extra Coconut Milk for when it’s done cooking. (optional)
- In a saucepan, mix together the amaranth, chia seeds, coconut milk, maple water, maple syrup, vanilla, spices and raisins.
- Bring to a boil, then lower to a simmer for 20-25 minutes. Make sure you stir frequently, scraping the bottom of the pan. The chia seeds can stick to the bottom.
- Remove from the heat, set aside, covered for 10 minutes. The longer it stands the thicker it will get. You can add the extra coconut milk to the porridge.