Summer is a time for grilling and bright citrus flavors which made this challenge a fun one to do. For this challenge, I made grilled chicken bites with citrus avocado mousse. The ingredients we were asked to use have been my favorite so far. We used Regina Spices Jalapeño Lime Salt and Temecula Olive Oil Company’s California Balsamico Bianco with Honey.
I honestly would not have had so much fun with this recipe without having made a new friend at the same time. It was by chance that he liked one of my pics on Instagram. I noticed him because of his Instagram name, The Bearded Paleo. I took a look at his profile and realized he lived somewhere in the east bay of California. If you live in the east bay, you know that you are most likely in the same area. So I sent him a message and asked him where he was living. It turns out he lives in Alameda. His name is Daniel, and like many people who discover the paleo lifestyle, he lost a lot of weight and became much healthier for it. Because of his weight loss, he can now keep up with his active young son and live life on his terms. As a result of his new-found lifestyle, Daniel has developed his own recipe for a paleo tortilla using cassava flour. One of these days I am going to have him make me some because they sound amazing. I just can’t wait to see what life has in store for him!
As Daniel and I have been getting to know each other, he told me about a recent trip he made to SoCal where he chef’d a party, making his paleo tortillas into some pretty awesome tacos. Wish I could have been there! One of the things that he made for the tacos happened to be an avocado mousse. I couldn’t help but ask what that was like. He gave me the recipe, and it only seemed fitting to make a variation of it using the ingredients in this week’s challenge. I guess you can say I had a pretty awesome influence for this recipe and I couldn’t be more grateful.
Grilled Chicken Bites with Citrus Avocado Mousse
Grilled Chicken Marinade
- 2 Limes, juiced
- 1 Tbsp Honey
- 1 Tsp Regina Spices Jalapeno Lime Salt
- 1/8 Tsp Black Pepper, ground
- 1/4 Cup Avocado Oil
- 8 Boneless/Skinless Chicken Thighs, diced into 1 inch pieces
- Extra Jalapeno Lime Salt and pepper for seasoning just before cooking
Grilled Chicken Marinade Directions
- Combine all of the ingredients in a bowl and whisk together thoroughly.
- Add your diced up chicken thighs and marinade to a ziplock bag and let it sit overnight in the refrigerator.
- When you are ready to cook your chicken, season your chicken with some extra Jalapeño Lime Salt and Pepper. You can either skewer the chicken and grill them. Or, you can add them to a cast iron pan with the remaining marinade and cook to perfection.
Citrus Avocado Mousse
- 2-3 Avocados
- 2 Tbsp Lime Juice
- 1 Tbsp Meyer Lemon Juice
- 1 Tsp Yellow Mustard Seeds
- 1 Tbsp Garlic, minced
- 1/2 Tsp Regina Spices Jalapeno Lime Salt
- 3 Tbsp Temecula Olive Oil Co. California Balsamico Bianco
- 1/2 Jalapeno, diced (You can leave the seeds depending on how spicy you want it.)
- 1 Scoop Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides (optional)
- 1/4 Cup Avocado Oil
Citrus Avocado Mousse Directions
- In a blender, combine all of your ingredients and blend till they produce a thick mousse.
When you have finished cooking your chicken and preparing your avocado mousse, pair them with Jilz Crackerz Salt and Pepper Crackers, setting them out as a nice appetizer for any summer get together. These little bites are sure to please everyone!