You know that saying, “stop and smell the roses?” Well, you literally should – everyday! Stress and poor diet have become the leading cause of most health issues today, and it’s no surprise when you look at what you do each and every day of your lives. I thought I would have no problem going back to school to pursue my bachelors degree while working full time. Little did I know that I would literally kill my adrenals in the process and make myself very sick. There used to be a time when I could get up, go to work, come home and work-out, and then bust out two intensive legal assignments for school all before going to bed around 11:00pm. Now, I get up and go to work, come home, sit on the couch and watch some t.v. before I turn in for the night between 8:30 and 9:30 pm. I have to make myself get up and do the things I need to do to take care of myself. And while I have to make myself get up and take care of myself, that stresses me out too because I feel like I have lost so much of who I used to be before all this.
To cope with how I feel about my situation, I have had to learn how to de-stress. Stress management has become one of the most important things in my life because I know how vital it is to getting better. However, doing and reminding oneself to de-stress is a whole other story. My friend Michele from Thriving On Paleo has written this fabulous ebook, Relax, on how one can de-stress on a daily basis. The best part about it is that 98% of the things she discusses cost very little to nothing for your pocket book.
Michelle’s book touches on all the things you can do to help yourself relax and take better care of yourself. As a working mother and wife, she has had to learn that taking care of herself helps her to take better care of her family as well. As I read through Michelle’s book, I found things that I hadn’t done in a long time, as well as things I hadn’t thought of. It’s funny how hard it can be to either remind ourselves, or figure out some of the simplest things we can do to help ourselves relax or have fun. Sometimes, it takes a great book like Michelle’s to remind you of all the things you can do. Get your ebook here!
So what are some of the things I do to relax or have a good time these days?
The first thing I did was create a list of all the things that help me relax, or that I enjoy doing. I consider it my Menu of Fun & Relaxation. It takes all of the guesswork out of having to figure out what I want to do – which to be honest, can be a little difficult to figure out sometimes.
Here are some things on my Menu of Fun & Relaxation in no particular order:
- Walking the reservoir – I love getting out in nature and breathing the fresh air. My favorite part is getting my doggy fix at the same time.
- Pottery/Sculpting/Drawing – I love creating things whether its with clay or drawing. It just get’s my creative juices flowing. I still have a few pieces around the house.
- Essential Oils – Not only do essential oils have boundless health benefits, but their biggest attribute is to help you relax. I love wearing my diffuser necklace with Stress Away on a regular basis. It helps keep me sane!
- Cooking & Food Photography – I know i’m a food blogger, but still! I really love getting into the photography most of all.
- Massage – I have been practicing for ten long years, giving clients some pretty awesome body work, but I seldom get one for myself. I’m picky – sue me!
- Swimming/Floating – I love getting in the pool and engaging all of my muscles while stretching them out at the same time. Floating allows me to disconnect from my body and get outside of it all.
- Journaling – I love getting my thoughts out in front of me on paper. It allows me to think things through, give thanks, give my wants and desires to the universe – all sorts of things.
- Boxing – Yes I said Boxing! I took a class at the gym I was going to out of curiosity. I never expected to like it, or even be good at it. It’s a great way to get frustrations out, obviously. But on the flip side it’s great cardio that is not boring either. Time flies when you’re going to town on a good boxing bag, just sayin!
- Dance it out! – Yes, just like they do in Grey’s Anatomy (yes I just referred to a tv show lol). But it’s true! Getting up and dancing it out like a complete dork in the middle of your living room where no one can see you is refreshing and fun! Try it sometime! You will find yourself in a fit of giggles or just completely out of breath by the end of it. Either way, it’s all good!
- Meditation – Yes, the boring, sit in silence type of action that takes patience to even master a minute of your time meditation. I’m ADD so believe me when I tell you this is a challenge. But when I can get myself into the zone, its a great tool to have. I often use the app Headspace to challenge myself.
So do yourself a huge favor and get yourself a copy of Michelle’s book. It’s a timeless resource that you can go back to over and over again to either remind yourself, or try something new. Just remember, taking care of you allows you to either take care of the people you love, or live the life you want to live. And that alone is the biggest reason to get this book for yourself.
Aside from all the great techniques you will get to help destress your life, this book is only $14.99. AND, you get a guided meditation with purchase. Get your ebook here!