On the blog this week is my review of Primal Low Carb Kitchen from Kyndra Holley of Peace Love & Low Carb. Kyndra just released her new cookbook based on low carb comfort food for the paleo/primal lover, and I have to tell you it is such a great book.
Like many of us who have tried every diet under the sun to lose some weight and just gain it all back again is exactly what Kyndra went through. And of course she wasn’t focused on the nutritional content of the food she was eating on these diets, I know I wasn’t! One day, Kyndra woke up and just started to see food in a new light and that is when everything changed for her. After working in fine-dining establishments, she didn’t want to give up all the foods she had grown up loving. So she set out on a mission to recreate the dishes she enjoyed so much, starting with mac & cheese. And yeah, you will see that same recipe in this book too! As a result of recreating the dishes she loved, her waistline began to change too.
So let’s get to it shall we?!
I thought I would start off by sharing the Taco Seasoning recipe she developed. I love a good taco seasoning, but this one is is really good!
Serving Size: 1 tsp
- 2 tbsp (20g) Chili Powder
- 2 tbsp (15g) Ground Cumin
- 2 tsp (5g) Onion Powder
- 2 tsp (7g) Garlic Powder
- 2 tsp (5g) Celery Salt
- 1/2 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Salt
Mix the ingredients together and bottle.
And now we will move on to the main dish of the night, Chili Lime Shrimp Avocado Boats! First, let me start by saying how much I love a good avocado. Who doesn’t?! I can honestly say that I love avocados as much as I love bacon! So it’s a no brainer when I tell you that this dish is just simply awesome! The savory flavor of the avocado along with the spicy shrimp and tangy capers create a beautiful marriage of flavors that satisfy all your taste buds. Wow, that actually sounded legit!
Now that I am sharing this recipe with you, you are required to make it for yourself and just see how tasty this dish is for yourself. Come one now! I’m secretly watching you!
Chili Lime Shrimp Avocado Boats
- 1 lb (455g) Medium Shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Juice of 1 Lime
- 3 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp (30ml) Coconut Aminos
- 1 tbsp (10g) Taco Seasoning
- 2 Large Avocados, halved, cored and cubed (save the skins)
- 1 Small Tomato, diced
- 1/2 cup (85g) Artichoke Hearts, roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup (50g) Red Onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup (35g) Capers
- 2 tbsp (30ml) Olive Oil
- Sea Salt & Black Pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, combine the shrimp, lime juice, garlic, coconut amino and taco seasoning. Toss until the shrimp are thoroughly coated and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine the cubed avocados, tomato, artichoke hearts, red onion and capers. Drizzle olive oil over avocado mixture and sprinkle with sea salt and black pepper.
- In a medium saute pan over medium heat, salute the shrimp, including all the marinade, until the shrimp are pink and cooked through, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Mix the shrimp into the avocado mixture. Fill the avocado skins with heaping mounds of the mixture.
Per Serving: 390 Cal; 25g Fat; 27g Protein; 19 Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber; 14g Net Carbs
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I did. And now that you’ve made it for yourself (wink wink), go get yourself a copy of this book right now!